Wednesday, September 26, 2007

So much happening...

It's only Thursday, but I feel I've lived 2 weeks in the past 4 days...

On Monday I sacrificed sleep (worked Night Duty the night before) to spend a precious few hours with my dear, sweet friends from Uni. Jen and Kaz drove to Bendigo to lunch with Jocelyn and I. And all our kids of course. It was just lovely, and once again I lament the fact that we don't all live in the same street.

Got a couple of hours sleep in then went to my second Night Duty. I only lasted 2 hours. As soon as I arrived there was a message to call Steve at home. Turns out that Dad had just rang him. Mum was in hospital, and had sufferred a "bleed into her brain". I rang the hospital to hear what what happening. Basically, a few days ago Mum had a 3cm bleed into her brain (essentially a stroke). I spoke briefly with Mum, who was crying and feeling very frightened. I was just glad to hear her voice and know that at least she could still talk.

I didn't stay at work. Went home so that I could get a few hours sleep, then set off for Dad's first thing Tuesday morning. Dad was very relieved to see me. He had been holding it together well, but Mum is Dad's rock really, so I thought Dad would be in a worse state than he was. We drove the rest of the way to the hospital together. Mum looked good when we arrived. All her neurological exams checked out, so they discharged her. She needs an MRI of her brain in a couple of weeks, and depending on what that shows, she'll probably need a craniotomy (brain surgery) to clip an aneurysm. I put the fear of God into Mum, trying to ensure that if she has symptoms again, to call an ambulance, not hop in the car.

So, I loaded up the car and headed home Tuesday afternoon. I rang home to tell them I would be home in about an hour. Oscar must have left the phone off the hook after he spoke to me. This would be important in about an hour's time... Got halfway home and the freakin' car overheated. It's done this before, despite numerous mechanic visits, and despite Dad and I BOTH checking the oil and water before I left their place. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I had 2 litres of water in the car with me, but it wasn't enough. I sat on the side of the road for about an hour, waiting for the car to cool off. I tried to ring home to tell them what was happening, but the phone was off the hook. I sent a text to my neighbour to ask her to go tell Steve to hang up the phone, but it turns out she was out of town too. Then my phone died. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I limped 500m up the road before the needle shot to HOT again. So, I decided to be grown up about it, and walked a kilometer or so, to find a farmhouse a bit off the main road. No one answered when I knocked, so I helped myself to some water from an outdoor tap. As I was walking back to the car, and old man finally heard me and came out of the house to help. Turns out the extra water was all I needed, and I was on my way.

Phew. I cursed the car the whole way home. Had a little cry as well, once all the drama was over. LOL

Poor Steve. When I walked in the door, I unleashed my fury. Called the car all the names I could possibly think of, then went on a rant about how surely two adults with jobs should be able to have a reliable car, capable of surviving a ONE HOUR drive when my mother is sick. So, scrap that previous post about the Territory being stalled. It's full steam ahead baby. Not a question of having Steve 100% on board now. I mean, he always was, but he kept cringing about the $$$$ factor. I care not now. Mum and Dad aren't getting any younger, and there will be more times when I need to just drop everything and go to them. The last thing I need to think about is whether the car will let me down.

Rant over.

So, the past few days have been... interesting. Watch this space for the sparkling new car. hehehe Actually, I have decided that perhaps NEW is not necessary. A used Territory will do the job I reckon.


kazy2004 said...

Oh dear my sweet Annie.
I am glad your mum is ok, and I hope the MRI is positive.
I had a divine time with our catch up, but it was too short .
and my final comment is "get rid of that piece of shit once and for all!!"


love Kazzy